Aloha Jim and Miss Random (a.k.a Mr. and Mrs. RetireBy) are 30-something Seattleites who are inspired to reach financial freedom early. We both grew up in South East Asia and came to US at early age to pursue the American dream. Little that we knew that there are many versions of American dreams: the “Traditional Retire by 65” and the “Retire by Financial Freedom at any age”. We are pursuing the later, setting our mind to reach FIRE on 2025.
By profession, Aloha Jim is a Software Engineer for a corporation in Seattle (and a struggling Musician). Miss Random is a freelance Interior and Graphic Designer.
Income range is relative to where you live. Although we made a good six-figure income, Seattle has become an expensive city to live (we both love Seattle though and wish we can still retire here). A careful planning and discipline execution are still required to reach FIRE. The words out there is: $250k is the new $100k in Seattle. $400k is the new $100k in the Bay Area.
Seattle waterfront during sunset
We started this blog to document and share our journey. It keeps us motivated and accountable while providing good resources for other people to learn from as well. Our principle is, the next generation must be better than us because you will have a head start based on the learning that the previous generation has done (and shared).
We will share the knowledge that we learn along the way in this site, which includes:
- How to’s – how to optimize gain and minimize taxes and expenses
- Lifehack – there’s always a way to accomplish something cheaper, with less effort, while getting more than the “normal way”
- Ideas / Aha moments – these are philosophical thinking that’s worth sharing. After all, an idea doesn’t mean anything unless it’s being acted on
- Product review – we still need to consume stuff, especially in America. Reviews help optimizing the consumption
- Travel – this is just something that we like to do. Socializing this can help optimizing someone else’s travel plan
You will notice that early retirement planning involves a lot of optimization. There are multiple ways to get there. Some people choose to go the extreme frugality way. We choose to optimize our life instead, spending reasonable amount of time and money on the things that we really care about. Don’t spend on things that don’t really matter (the part about impressing other people, just because).
Please stay connected, join our mailing list and like our Facebook page. Follow our RSS feed. And please do share this to others to spread the ideas.